Reconstructive surgery has an immense role to play in Africa to help alleviate a large number of devastating conditions that produce deformity and disability.
ReSurge Africa aims to strengthen Sierra Leone‚Äôs health system by improving training, clinical services and policy through capacity building with our partner organisation, The Holy Spirit Hospital, Makeni. This partnership will lead to the creation of a permanent and self sustaining reconstructive surgery service in the future.
ReSurge Africa is looking to recruit a nurse educator for the Holy Spirit Hospital as soon as possible. The candidate will be based in Makeni and will have a critical role in developing the burns and reconstructive surgery service. The role will include the following areas of work:
- Participate and lead in training and teaching programmes that will enhance standards of care in theatre and wards.
- Establish a safe working environment for patient, local staff and visiting teams.
- Ensure all theatre and ward standards, practices and procedures are adhered to all times.
- Innovate change process to meet future needs of the service.
- Implement and ensure highest standards of infection prevention and control are practiced at all times in the clinical areas.
- Assist in maintenance of stock levels of all theatre and clinical equipment and supplies.
- Implement good documentation practice in line with recommended practice and procedures.
- Contribute to the development of the burns and reconstructive service and ensure standards are maintained in clinical practice.
- Offer professional support to the Medical Director and hospital staff.
- Collaborate with other in country organisation and develop cohesive working relationships.
Support provided to Volunteers
This post is one year unpaid voluntary position but the successful candidate will be provided with the following support
- One return flight from London to Freetown
- Multi-entry visa, residency permit & professional registration.
- Vaccination & antimalarials
- Stipend for living expenses (GBP 500 per month).
- A nursing degree
- Professional registration in home country
- At least three years of post qualification experience in acute areas
- Previous travel experience in Africa or low resource country
- Experience in delivering nursing education
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Capable of working independently with minimal supervision, leading and designing projects autonomously
- Keen interest in nursing education
- Diploma in tropical nursing or equivalent
- Teaching and leadership experience
- Experience in theatre, burns & reconstructive surgery care
For more information please contact Catherine Liao,